Friday, September 4, 2009

Mike Mitchell is (aleppo pepper) HOT!

I'm a big fan of Mike Mitchell, who has taught science at SLS for the past few years. We were drawn together by our mutual interest in cooking, particularly smoking big pieces of meat. I have a Big Green Egg, and he has a water smoker, but with creativity, low heat, smoke, time, and of course, meat, it all adds up to the same thing -- delicious Q (that's BBQ).

When Mike became science chair, I could see his creativity goes far beyond a beef brisket. This guy is a whiz, full of knowledge and ideas to spark a love of science in his students and to advance the science department. Heck, I was not the most enthusiastic science student in high school, but I was ready to enroll in the science classes in his department.

Like I've heard other parents say, I wish I were a student at St. Luke's School.

Students and parents are going to love the energy and dynamism in the science department this year, as much as they are going to love the chili cookoff we may have at Homecoming (this is new math teacher Corey's idea). While Mike is an aleppo pepper fan, I use a number of chilis in my chili which I'm not going to disclose here.

We may be colleagues, but that doesn't mean I don't want to win the cookoff.

Here's to Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment